Burning Restrictions

Click here for the latest outdoor burning status

Click here for approved fire pit definitions

Outdoor Burning

As of January 1, 2007, the outdoor burning regulations in and around the City of Leavenworth have changed.

Outdoor burning inside the Leavenworth Urban Growth Area is now prohibited.

What is an Urban Growth Area?

"Urban growth area" is a term used by cities and counties to define where home and business development is allowed. More development is allowed inside an Urban Growth Area. For example, four houses per acre might be allowed in the Urban Growth Area, while only one house per five acres might be allowed outside the area.

Urban Growth Area Boundary Map

A general map of the Leavenworth Urban Growth Area can be seen to the right. Click on the map for a larger image. Please allow the larger image time to load.

Refer to Chelan County Parcel Search if you need more specific parcel information, or if you’re situated on or across the Urban Growth Area boundary line. This map is a web-based mapping system that ties directly to Chelan County’s existing Geographical Information System. Parcel and name search tools are provided.

Why can’t I burn?

Urban Growth Area outdoor burning regulations are required by law as set by the Washington State Legislature.

What is outdoor burning?

"Outdoor burning" is burning of household yard waste, such as leaves, grass, brush and other yard trimmings. It is also burning to clear land of trees, stumps, shrubbery, or other natural vegetation.

Are garbage burning and burn barrels banned?

Burn barrels and garbage burning have been banned since 2000.

If I’m outside the Urban Growth Area, can I still burn?

Yes. In Chelan County Fire District #3, natural vegetation only and only when outdoor burning is allowed. You can tell if outdoor burning is allowed by checking here.

Fires over 4 ft. x 4 ft. shall have a permit. Permits are available from the Chelan County Fire Marshal, Washington Department of Natural Resources, or the Washington Department of Ecology, depending on the size of the burn.

If I can’t burn, what should I do with all my yard waste?

Call your local solid waste department to find out what options are available to you (Dryden transfer station, 509.548.7272).

Instead of burning, you could:

  • Compost
  • Chip waste
  • Haul to yard waste disposal stations
  • Hold community-wide or neighborhood clean-up days
  • Use curbside pickup

The City of Leavenworth provides two opportunities to take advantage of curbside pickup:

  1. Two weeks in the spring.
  2. Oct. 15-31.

All waste must be bagged and bundled, nothing over 4 ft., and no metal. Contact the City of Leavenworth for more information, 509.548.5275.

What kinds of burning are still allowed inside the Urban Growth Area?

Farm and orchard burning (with a permit) and campfires are still allowed depending on the current fire danger. The U.S. Forest Service is still allowed to do forest burning.

Who do I call for more information?

Department of Ecology, 1.866.211.6284

Chelan County Fire Marshal, 509.667.6221

Chelan County Fire Dist. 3, 509.548.7711

City of Leavenworth, 509.548.5275

Who should I call if someone is burning and they’re in violation of the outdoor burning regulations?

Department of Ecology, 1.866.211.6284

What happens if I keep burning?

You can be fined up to $10,000 per day for each violation. You can also be held responsible for the cost of putting out the fire, which may be in the thousands of dollars.